Sunday, October 25, 2009

Farm Animals Adapting to the Modern World

I hadn't been at the barn in a couple of hours, so when I returned to hear a beeping, I was immediately worried. A beeping? It didn't sound like a smoke detector. The horses were all fine, the truck doors weren't open. An apartment window over the barn was open, and I though Oh, maybe Anne left her alarm on, but when I walked directly under it the sound was coming from inside the barn.

Now I was nervous. There's a room in the barn that contains all the hot water heaters and electrical boxes for the apartments upstairs. What if it was some kind of alarm for a malfunction? We had a hot water heater malfunction and nearly burn the place down earlier in the year, so I ran to that door and threw it open... but nope, the sound was not coming from inside.

The bathroom was clear of any beeping. The wash stall was silent. My office? I opened the door.

My chicken cocks her head at me quizzically. She's perching atop my phone, looking for all the world like she's trying to figure out how to dial out. The phone is off the hook, beeping incessantly, and flashing, "invalid number."

No more 900 calls, Henny Penny.

No comments: