Monday, December 1, 2008

Voter Apathy

With the election approaching, students have been exposed to political messages on both sides of the spectrum. Have the continued messages inspired the student body to vote in the 2008 election?
“I haven’t seen much [political action] on campus. I’m kind of surprised there’s not more going on,” said Eric Rabe
“I haven’t heard a lot about it,” agreed Adam Snarski.
“In general, the student attitude on this campus is nowhere near involved as I would like it to be,” said Aaron Jeske. “There is probably a core group of a few hundred students who are actively involved in the political process. This, considering that the UWM student population of over 27,000, is a little disheartening. That being said, I'm sure a greater percentage of students have opinions and will express them at the polls; it’s just that they don't express them openly by joining political groups or attending political speakers.”
Some feel students are divided into very distinct groups: those who participate, and those who don’t care.
“People are either very into it or are completely oblivious,” said Nick Earle.
“Students have their ideas of which candidate they would choose, but when it comes to actually getting involved, well, I think a lot of the problem is that they don’t have time for extra-curriculars,” said Jaelei Yang of the Multicultural Student Coalition. “Some people are just shy, like me. I like to be behind the scenes, doing the organizing work.”
Tables for voter registration were set up in prominent locations throughout the fall semester, and didn’t escape notice.
“I think [the overall attitude has] been positive,” said Niles Neimuth. “I think there’s been a big push for voter registration.”
“Personally, I feel like UWM students are very excited about this election; no matter who they are voting for,” said Amileah Stribling, Vice President of the UWM American Indian Student Association. “Everyone I've spoken with has very strong feelings about the candidates and the issues at hand. This is the first time I will get to cast my vote in a presidential election so I'm pretty revved-up about it!”
Stribling said the Student Vote Coalition registered 3,000 students to vote, nearly reaching their goal of 4,000.
“I'm positive UWM students will do their part in this election,” said Tyler Kristopeit, Chairman of the College Republicans. “In 2004, the polling location at Sandburg Dorms had the highest turnout of any polling place in the City of Milwaukee. The enthusiasm for this election has certainly surpassed that of 2004.”
“I have seen a lot of energy devoted to selections. As always, there is going to be apathy, but I know a large number of students are energized about this election - and that's exciting to see.” Kristopeit said.
Not everyone remains as optimistic as Kristopeit.
“It would be nice to get a big turnout,” said Kyle Duerstein. “I think people are just too apathetic.”
# # # #
Published in the UWM Post Nov 3

No comments: