Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Dress

With only a little bit of notice, I raided my paypal account to afford a beautiful gown. My horses must have gotten wind of it, because two days before I went shopping, my mare went through a barbed-wire fence. Her vet bill ended up being exactly the amount I had saved for the dress! Oh well, I said, money is no object: credit cards are there for “emergencies” like this. About a week before the wedding, I went into town with two requirements of my dress: nothing strapless, and it must fit right off the rack (no time for alterations here!). The dress I found is a lovely satin gown with 1920s-style beading.
The moment I put it on, it was just like they show on television: I didn't even have to look in the mirror to know it was the gown. Thankfully, it fit perfectly. It had been marked down twice from its original tag price, and when I got to the register, it rang up at a ridiculously inexpensive number. I had no doubts about it being the “right” dress, but that discount deal was the icing on the wedding cake!
(The black-and-white photograph in some of these photos shows my grandmother and great-grandmothers on her wedding day. Also, the reason the horses are not in the wedding photos is simply because Cleo had so many stitches, she looked like a Tim Burton creation! She has since healed up, and is doing fine.)

No comments: